All products and services on Project PAWS are independently selected by our editors, contributors, and veterinary experts. This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.To learn more, view my disclosure policy.
Dogs and Household Toxins: Dogs like to things we have touched our frequently use. Dogs seem to not mind the bitter taste of ibuprofen or a prescription human medication. Funny how they can pick out a pill hidden in a hot dog and eat everything but the hot, then consume something terrible tasting. Dog owners need to be as diligent with their dog as they are with their toddler, Dogs have about the same common sense when putting things into their mouth.
Poisons for Dogs
Human and veterinary NSAIDS:
Never give a pain medication to your dog. Common, over-the-counter, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS) include drugs such as aspirin, naproxen, and ibuprofen can be potentially fatal to your dog.
Human antidepressant medication can be very dangerous. All are poisonous to dogs.
A tuberculosis drug, is difficult for dogs to process. Even one tablet can cause problems in a small dog.
Topical spot-on insecticides:
Common flea and tick medications that you can find at your veterinary clinic or at the local pet store are very poisonous if ingested.
- Death is untreated
- Rodent traps and killers
- Radiator cooler – antifreeze
- laundry detergent
- drain cleaners
- concentrated toilet bowl cleaners
- rust removers
- severe profuse drooling
- chemical burns to the mouth and esophagus,
- difficulty breathing
- Kidney failure
- Kidney failure
Xylitol – substance found in artificial sweeteners
- Rapid drop in blood sugar causing weakness and seizures
- Liver failure
Pits of fruits:
- Kidney failure
- Labored breathing
Rat and mouse poison:
Rodenticides, if ingested by dogs, can cause severe problems. The symptoms depend on the nature of the poison, and signs may not start for several days after consumption. In some instances, the dog may have eaten the poisoned rodent, and not been directly exposed to the toxin.
Just as we can be sickened or killed by medications intended to help us, cases of pet poisoning by veterinary drugs are not uncommon. Some of the more commonly reported problem medications include painkillers and de-wormers.
Complete list of poisonous plants can be found here: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/dogs-plant-list
You can also call them at: 1-888-426-4435
Dog can love to get into the dirt of household plants or dig in the garden.
- Sago palms
- stomach problems
- heart damage
- potential death
- liver failure
- paint thinner
- chemicals for pools
- stomach upset
- chemical burns.
Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.
A final word about Dogs and Household Toxins…
Help I think my pet ingested poison!
If you think your dog has been poisoned, try to stay calm. It is important to act quickly, but rationally.
First, gather up any of the potential poison that remains — this may be helpful to your veterinarian and any outside experts who assist with the case. If your dog has vomited, collect the sample in case your veterinarian needs to see it. Call your vet and have your pet seen right away.
You can also call the ASPCA poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435