ProjectPAWS.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links.
Fun fact! Most people don’t know that in addition to managing animal clinics for nearly 12 years, I also owned and operated a small business making homemade dog treats. Now, I’m seeking to create easy, all-natural tasty treats using healthy, human-grade ingredients for you to make at home for your pets. An e-book packed full of my original recipes is coming soon (so be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for updates), but in the meantime – here is a little teaser just in time for the holidays!
In the old days, I would use whole wheat flour but with so many pets having allergies, I’ll be keeping most of the treats grain free. Such is the case in this Banana Oat Dog Treat Recipe.
You don’t have to buy expensive oat flour, making it at home is simple. All you need is a food processor or blender that is capable of processing old fashioned oats.
Oat flour is lighter and absorbs more liquids than traditional flour, so the measurements are important here. It’s slightly grainier than store bought oat flour as you’ll see in the finished cookie, but trust me…your dogs won’t mind 🙂
Process the oats to a fine flour, add the mashed banana, aluminum-free baking powder and a bit of vanilla. I like to either use my stand mixer or the food processor so that all of the ingredients are well combined.
I have collected a variety of cookie cutters over the years, but the best place to find them, including the letter stamps, is on Amazon.com.
If you make this recipe, let me know what your pup thought of them!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our newsletter so you don’t miss the launch of our very first dog treat e-Book (coming soon!)
Banana Oat Dog Treat Recipe
- Food Processor
- Stand Mixer
- 2 c Oat Flour may take more/less depending on humidity
- 1.5 Ripe Banana pureed
- 1 tsp Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, at oats and process to a flour consistency. Measure out 2 cups, reserving some for bench flour and some in case the mixture is too wet.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add 1 banana and blend until very pureed.
- Add the baking powder, vanilla and oat flour.
- The batter should be similar to a roll out cookie dough. Not too moist, not too dry.
- Roll out on a surface you have floured using reserved oat flour and cut into bone shapes.
- If desired, using the cookie alphabet, add your pet's name or WOOF as we have here today.
- Bake on a lined cookie sheet for about 15 minutes or until firm and then REDUCE the heat to 170 degrees. Bake until the cookies are drier and remove to a rack to cool completely. About 30 minutes.
- If you have a dehydrator, you could skip the lower heat and dehydrate these completely overnight. They will be crispy and last in a covered container for quite some time.
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO